Sunday, March 13, 2011

Scavenger Hunt CD Post: 13 Building me up while you're shooting me down or Upbeat songs with downbeat lyrics


In making a recent mix cd for a friend, I discovered that this particular category might just be my favorite sub-genre of music in general, as I made a 17-track cd comprised almost entirely of perky songs with dread-filled lyrics. Even my favorite song of all time, Squeeze's "Tempted" is a ridiculously bouncy song about a someone fucking up, figuratively and literally.

Much like category 12, there is a clear master of this particular craft. I am surprised to report that Erica, known Morrissey-phile, was not amongst the four who chose a pairing of his lyrics with Mr. Marr's melodies, but then again, she was certainly not remiss in including them elsewhere.

THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT: the Smiths
Rory
Aly
- may i never forget the night we were at Karaoke Melody belting this one out when Jenn's Mr. O said "FUCK, THAT SONG IS DEPRESSING!" (not verbatim)

DEATH AT ONE'S ELBOW: the Smiths
Scot
-even the title gives you fair warning

WHAT SHE SAID: the Smiths
Nikki G

EVERYTHING COUNTS: Depeche Mode
Erica
-seems a reasonable follow up to the Smiths

BEST FRIEND: the Drums
SKIPPIN' TOWN: the Drums
Erin O
-perhaps the new purveyors of depressed pop

LIKE THE WEATHER: 10,000 Maniacs
Blake
-if you're wondering where the sun is, it's finally in Atlanta today

MAD WORLD: Tears for Fears
Jenn O
-also masters of this art in their own right

WHEN THE SUN GOES DOWN: Arctic Monkeys
Amanda
- misery to you can get down to

LESSONS LEARNED: Matt & Kim
Chuck
-makes me bounce in my seat at work in spite of itself

TOJO: Hoodoo Gurus
Katherine
-knew these guys would pop up sometime

ONE ANGRY DWARF: Ben Folds Five
Joe
-so delighted with the Ben Folds occurrences!

FREAKSHOW: Gothic Archies
Megan
- does Stephen Merritt write happy songs?

TODAY: Smashing Pumpkins
Crickett
-one of the last songs by these guys that i actually liked

ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT RAINS: Garbage
Kyle
-pour your misery down on me, indeed

YOU HAVE PLACED A CHILL IN MY HEART: Eurythmics
Stuart
-i really really miss Eurythmics. can i just say that?

CADENCE OF HER LAST BREATH: Nightwish
Liz
-this inclusion did my husband proud. also, reminds me of the time Casey, Nikki G, & i saw that cut out at the coffee shop register - "10 Metal Bands Whose Names Sound Like Flavors of Tea: 1. Nightwish, 2. Moonspell..."

...and some classics...

ELEANOR RIGBY: the Beatles
Misty
-well, the downbeat part assuredly

ALL YOU GET FROM LOVE IS A LOVE SONG: the Carpenters
Sarah
- this and "Superstar" help me to understand my mother's love for the Carpenters

GLORY DAYS: Bruce Springsteen
Aunt Christy
- this very well could have been my life. thank gawwwwd it is not.

LAVENDER COFFIN: Joe Thomas
Thomas
- this one is brand new to me




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home