Saturday, March 05, 2011

Scavenger Hunt CD Post: 05 BRITPOP!!!!!!


Britpop in adulthood is to me what hair metal was in my adolescence... a staple of of good music and pool of men for me to fawn over. The gang's all here, from the grandfathers of Britpop, to the true originators, to the second generation - which encompasses even the later projects of the originators (read: GORILLAZ!)

I am reminded of the time the ladies and I were at Music trivia and the category was Britpop... we had to promptly correct the substitute hostess when we realized that she had clearly mistaken Britpop with pop music by British people. Had any of you put the Spice Girls on this disc as she would have, I may have had to disown you ;)

So god save Damon, and here we go.

ALL DAY AND ALL OF THE NIGHT:The Kinks
Aunt Christy
-the real original Britpop. reminds me to seek out the beautiful cover of the Kinks' "Waterloo Sunset" that is a duet between Damon Albarn and Ray Davies.

THE MAYOR OF SIMPLETON: XTC
Erica
-did you know Andy Partridge was a producer on an early Blur cd? watch me make all of this about Damon. PS - Swindon, England (home of XTC to this day) is an armpit, but I love XTC nonetheless

NEIL JUNG: Teenage Fan Club
Amanda
- darn. i can make no connection here, though I am certain one exists. oh, well. this reminds me of sitting up late on Sunday nights and my love affair with "120 Minutes"

THE ONLY ONE I KNOW: The Charlatans
Erin O (disc 1)
-not to be confused with "the Charlatans UK" - OH WAIT!

GIRLS AND BOYS: Blur
Blake
- perhaps THE Britpop song to end all Britpop songs, if you love Mr. Albarn as I do...

CONNECTION: Elastica
Megan
-unless you count the one by Damon's ex-girlfriend...

METAL MICKEY: Suede
Rory
- or the one by HER ex-boyfriend...

MARRIED WITH CHILDREN: Oasis
Erin O (disc 2)
- or any one by Blur's big Britpop rivals...

DISCO 2000: Pulp
Chuck
- or the one by the guys who slept with all their girlfriends. Oh wait - this isn't "Common People"

TASTE: Ride
Scot
- not to mention the ones we really never got to hear that much on this side of the pond...

INBETWEENER: Sleeper
Nikki G
- or the ones I didn't even know existed until the Trainspotting soundtrack came out...

ONLY LOVE CAN BREAK YOUR HEART: Saint Etienne
Jenn O
- or the ones it took me forever to even realize were Britpop

START ALL OVER: Kula Shaker
Thomas
- these guys hold a special place in my heart, as it was their shining moment when I fully accepted Britpop in my heart

SONNET: The Verve
Misty
- Richard Ashcroft is neither a nice nor nice looking man. but he has a voice made for singing love songs

CREEP: Radiohead
Kyle
Crickett
- and hopefully you all realize that my end-all, be-all, get outta jail free card, #1 famous guy/English "husband" had to show up at least once... my dear, Colin, in another life, perhaps ;)

MAYBE TOMORROW: Stereophonics
Joe
-the 'phonics are a touchy subject in Britpop, but i LOVE them, and i LOOOOVE this track... and a bonus

GIRL-SHAPED LOVE DRUG: Gomez
Joe

TAKE ME OUT: Franz Ferninand
Stuart
- yes. Scottishmen are - no matter how they may protest it - Brits. and this song is perhaps one of the greatest examples of the current incarnation of Britpop

THE RACING RATS: Editors
Katherine
- as is this, and such a fantastic reminder of Britpop past. yes, he sounds like Ian Curtis. no, not so much that it makes me mad. in fact, just enough to make me love it.

MODERN ART: Art Brut
Aly
- what can I say? I (heart) Art Brut.

THAT'S NOT MY NAME: The Ting Tings
Liz
- super current incarnation

ON MELANCHOLY HILL: Gorillaz
Sarah
- see how it all comes back to Damon? see?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home