Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Scavenger Hunt CD Post:02 Songs with banjos & others

i love non-rock instruments in rock songs. the banjo is my favorite.

however, the scavenger hunt list did permit other non-guitar, stringed instruments... mandolins, ukes, violins, etc. and there are a few represented. and while there's only one doubled up track, there are quite a few artists that make recurring appearances... I'm looking at you, Peters Buck and Townsend.

SING - Travis
Stuart
i think it is actually Travis that lead to my love of banjo in rock songs. and not just because Andy Dunlop is my Scottish husband... (see - he even has his arm around me)

SATIN IN A COFFIN - Modest Mouse
Nikki G and Kyle
appropriately, I first saw MM with Miss G. we still make inside jokes about it.

BUKOWSKI - Modest Mouse
Aly
the only track doubles up is also one of the artists doubled up. btw, this is my second favorite Modest Mouse song, second only to "Dramamine."

LOSING MY RELIGION - REM
Misty
the mandolin to show up.

I BELIEVE - REM
Blake
whodda thunk Blake would choose REM? (wink)

CHOCOLATE JESUS - Tom Waits
Jen O
reminding me how damned charming I often find Mr. Waits to be

SQUEEZE BOX - The Who
Megan
how i learned about double entendres

I AM THE SEA/I'VE HAD ENOUGH - the Who
Thomas
i didn't learn to love the Who until my 20's. thank goodness i finally came around

OLD MAN - Neil Young
Erica
Neil Young is in a category he shares only with Dylan. love his music. but usually only if someone else is singing it. this song is one exception.

THE MERCY SEAT - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Katherine
orchestral instruments make their appearance. like Blake with REM, i am am shocked that kat would choose nick cave - oh, wait.

14TH STREET - Rufus Wainwright
Chuck
and that chuck would pick rufus - oh, wait. maybe my favorite rufus song. and not his last appearance in this series by a long shot.

SEXX LAWS - Beck
Amanda
another "husband" makes it on the list

DECATUR (OR A ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR YOUR STEPMOTHER) - Sufjan Stevens
Erin O, pt 1
speaking of Sufjan, i may have to revamp my own list to include "Chicago"

EACH COMING NIGHT - Iron & Wine
Erin O, pt 2

READY TO RUN - Dixie Chicks
Aunt Christy
you knew they'd have to show up some time, right? ;)

TAKE IT EASY - The Eagles
Sarah
reminds me of home, strangely. also one of the only glen frye eagles songs i like. i was raised a don henley girl.

and a few things that while perhaps not brand new, were brand new to me:

LIL KING OF EVERYTHING - Los Lobos
Rory O

MONK TIME - The Monks
Scot

YOU AND I: Ingrid Michaelson
Joe
- UKELELE! the choice instrument of my favorite Beatle.

IF IT HADN'T BEEN FOR LOVE - Steeldrivers
Crickett

AS TALL AS CLIFFS - Margot and the Nuclear So and So's
Liz

3 Comments:

Blogger CaddoArchaeologists said...

It's hard to make this work without doing the voice, but:
"Did you say the Who? The Who are a great band."

I think Blake was also there for that one.

Amanda

12:40 PM  
Blogger trixievw said...

spoken like a true alpaca

1:36 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Love these posts. :)

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home