Friday, March 11, 2011

Scavenger Hunt CD Post: 10 Songs from the year of our birth 1977


1977. A good year...

A year that gave us Star Wars. The rise and fall of the Sex Pistols, followed by a an American punk scene. The inauguration of Jimmy Carter. A song called "Melissa" by the Allman Bros. and one little girl whose Daddy loved that song so much that it's my middle name.

I was meant to be a rock child. So here are the offerings from the year of my birth - and many of yours...

HARD LUCK WOMAN: KISS
Erin O (disc 2)
-appropriately, the first piece of rock n roll to be pinned up on my bedroom wall? a picture of Peter Criss when i was 4.

BARRACUDA:
Katherine
Stuart
-some day i will sing at Metalsome Monday. and this will be my song.

COLD AS ICE: Foreigner
Rory
Misty
- it's funny to me to think that Rory was probably rocking out to this as a kid when it came out, while Misty was probably still incubating in the womb.

ROCKAWAY BEACH: the Ramones
Nikki G
YOU SHOULD HAVE NEVER OPENED THAT DOOR: the Ramones
Aly
SHEENA IS A PUNK ROCKER
Amanda
-i love that i can claim to be born they same year as american punk['s popularity]

NO MORE HEROES: the Stranglers
Thomas
- the STRANGLERS! two appearances in one Scavenger Hunt series. hoooo-ray

HEROES: David Bowie
Liz
-keeping the balance with my ultimate sugar daddy

WE WILL ROCK YOU/WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS: Queen
Erica
-as a small child i was so terrified of the cover art for News of the World that i honestly thought this song was from the point of view of a robot monster coming to crush me in his hands. it delights me to no end to think of how i love both of these tracks now.

CA PLANE POUR MOI: Plastic Bastards
Scot
-i can't listen to this song in the car. i am dancing driver and this song make me toooo bouncy!

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE GOVERNMENT: Talking Heads
Blake
-i cannot fathom that there were Talking Heads before there was me

SHE'S ALWAYS A WOMAN: Billy Joel
Joe
-the line about cutting you and laughing while you're bleeding has always haunted me, but oddly, that's always made this my favorite Billy Joel song

AMERICAN GIRL: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Crickett
- makes me inappropriately think about Fast Times at Ridgemont High

CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON: Kansas
Kyle
-still one of my favorite classic rock tracks ever

YOU MAKE ME FEEL LIKE DANCING: Leo Sayer
Sarah
-from what i understand, in 1977, you couldn't escape this song if you tried

DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY: Thelma Houston
Chuck
Jenn O
-i wonder if she's responsible for Whitney?

SIR DUKE: Stevie Wonder
Erin O (disc 1)
- my favorite R&B song ever

GOT TO GIVE IT UP: Marvin Gaye
Megan
-and this might be my second favorite

CAR WASH: Rose Royce
Aunt Christy
- makes me weary for the summer to hurry up and get here, until i remember where i am and to be careful what i wish for

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home