Wednesday, October 19, 2005

a short love letter to andy sturmer

dear mr. sturmer,

while this letter is nearly a decade late, i nonetheless wish to let you know that i miss you. and i miss jellyfish.

(and i really miss jellyfish featuring jason falkner... but we'll save that for his love letter because he's got one seriously overdue too.)

in the awkward years known as my teens, a technocolor little mtv Buzz Bin nugget caught my eye and left a skittles-rainbow photogram on my heart. "that is why" is still one of my favorite songs and to this day its initial bass drum hit brings about the sensation of a quick, hard tug on my heartstrings.

the summer i turned 14 i was surprised one night by the local rock station when a playlist i submited was chosen for "the perfect album side." while the mix was something completely uncharacteristic of a jellyfish fan (i seem to recall the presence of ted nugent, shark island, and obscure drivin' n cryin')... i took my prize - a $50 gift certificate to Turtle's Records (now defunct) and made a bee-line for bellybutton.

my freshman year of high school then proceeded to all but revolve around that cassette, until the tape wore through and snapped. (picture: my dad, shaking his head, with the look of 'i told you to buy the cd, but no you had to balk at new technology...')

i remember singing the song, and i wanna stay home, to my boyfriend over the phone many a time. i was so in love with that record (ok, tape). i remember the inner quandry that surfaced as i cleaned my room, "what exactly is a bedspring kiss?"

i remember being thrilled that you guys were going to appear on letterman, and my sitting up anxiously, giggling furiously and knowingly when i got the inside joke that "every show i would just dedicate this song to... chris..." (chris manning's absence from the stage due to illness, i believe)

bellybutton beat out some of your own influences (another named andy as well in particular, may mr. partridge forgive me) for a coveted spot in my tiny lil mimi pod. that means i love you guys.

then came spilt milk. i anticipated being disappointed without jason's presence, but that didn't pan out. one listen to "joining a fan club" and all doubt vanished.

i was pleasantly surprised today when the accepted radio station at work accepted a request for "ghost at number one" and i was reminded that i was just missing you/wondering what you're up to not a few days ago.

everything jason's done since then has made it's way into my collection. and roger proves pretty easy to track. but you, mr. sturmer.... where are you?

always in possession of that rare talent (the decemberists got it, as did tmbg, and our beloved xtc) to make even the most glum or ugly story into a joyful or at the least lovely noise... i read recently you've been spending time on the other side of the studio. but you have an incredible gift of a unique voice and a mastery of lyrics not unlike to those boys from swindon. i miss its presence.

if you're out there somewhere and there's material i have simply missed, heaven help me find it. if there's not, please make some music.

you're missed.

love,
heidi

3 Comments:

Blogger gk said...

i've got some sturmer stuff. i'd love to direct you toward it.

also... are you a member of the jelly-l? it's a wonderful community.

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heid,

*trying this again, 'cos i think i just blew it*

good blog---like your interests and writing---wondering if you got anything else by andy sturmer--i agree;it's that voice--it melts your heart, doesn't it? (and affects some other parts a whole bunch, too.) (right now, "with you--in my life"-- playing. yes, andy, i'll marry you!)

so...just wanted to ask if you got anything else by him after your post and if so, if you'd share with another hysterically fanatic andy sturmer fan.

from--(your "drag queen formula" made me smile)-- Lucky Cornett

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys! I have a BRAND NEW AND SEALED Jellyfish Fan Club set for the highest bidder so start sending those bids in to me!! I have seen this awesome set go for well over $270 used on Ebay so I know that it is worth a lot to Jellyfish's die hard fans!! I will accept cash or check (I hold checks until they clear and I will send the set out once it has) so send me some emails if you want this set!!! Thanks for being true fans! James @ redsea1013@yahoo.com

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home