Monday, October 17, 2005

i (heart) catherine wheel

as the verve plays in the background, i'd like to also say that i also (heart) richard ashcroft. dearly.

now onto my regularly scheduled post:

i recently caught a bit of rob dickinson's new solo stuff... in the last couple of days, in fact... and in the spirit of not being the girl from my blur/gorillaz post not long ago, i was quite excited to finally hear a bit of it. not bad. not catherine wheel, but i am certainly willing to give it the chance to grow on me and do intend to purchase it.

this of course got cw on the brain and apparently my ipod is synced to whichever lobe these thoughts were borne, because suddnely the shuffle was hitting "chrome" or "ferment" every third song or so. as i headed to the station after work yesterday, the track that started my love affair with these boys popped up, and i was momentarily transposed...

high school was by no means a highlight in my existence thus far. i am sure this has been established. it was ok. i had good friends, i made good grades, i had great relationships (get your mind outta the gutter) with my teachers and my parents and all that good stuff... but ultimately i was aware that there was something beyond the confines of dawson county's borders that i was missing out on and everything i achieved was done so in pursuit of my goal to escape and find out what all that was about.

and a lot of that started with two things... two songs, actually. one called sober - tool to be addressed at a later date - and one titled CRANK.

in the early days of WNNX - when it truly did play alternative music and "alternative" was not yet the contradictory term commercial radio has manipulated it into - i did my research on the world outside there in the wee hours of the morn along with my sundays at midnight with mtv's 120 minutes (when sweet little dave kendall? was that his name? was the host...)

vividly i recall lying in bed, not bothering to battle the slight insomnia and taking in the late night rotation. that's when they generally pulled out the super-alternative (for the time anyway, we all know tool's a household name these days and back then no one had heard gish yet). somehow - like clockwork- between 3 and 3:20 am the dj on duty, god bless her (i think it was yvonne or jill, but i could be mistaken), would inevitably play it. and every night i would lie there and wait for it.

it was so dark and so sexy. that man's voice evoked in me that could only come with new womanhood... tingles at the base of my spine and what i can only describe as a mild, pleasant vertigo. akin to a mid-night seduction, i awaited my dose of catherine wheel with half-sleep and once our time was up, i curled up under the covers basking in some bizarre auditory afterglow.

up to that point, it was the only thing i knew of them. it and it's accompanying spot on 120, with rob's insane blue eyes and almost naked torso (poet shirt maybe? that may be where i got my silly fascination with those things, quickly extinguished with my first visit to dragon con) and the band frolicking about in elevators and what i think were fancy hotel lobbies

i once referred to the song dramamine by modest mouse as what it feels like when i am coming down from my e peak. crank is its antithesis.... it like the ascension whether that e is in synthetic form or au natural (and produced from the feeling of fingertips on my flesh that are not necessarily my own...)

(side note: it also thrilled me to learn that rob dickinson is the nephew of bruce... i f you know me, you know that's a total understatement. but i guess maybe i shoulda put it together that two bands named after medieval torture devices probably had to be related somehow, right?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home