Thursday, August 25, 2005

already lost count of track numbers... how sad - late in the day

it's been a supergrass kind of week. how appropriate.

today i was working on the birthday mix cd for my best friend griffin. i thought as i poured over my music library, i haven't given In it for the Money a good listen in ages and pulled it up in winamp.

so many good tunes, but the one that always sticks out is "late in the day." a love song, heidi? how dull.

but no.

a love song indeed, but what an odd and yet beautiful one.

"I sleep on the road,
Dreaming of a sound,
Coming my way,
So long,
So long for me,

All the time I thought of you,
In an ordinary way,
Check back down the heart away,
And all I really have to say
Is people pass along the way,
Thoughts of you and me again,"

sure it's clearly the occupational hazard that possessed steve perry to write "faithfully" or peter criss to write "beth" - being in love and being a rock musician are not an ideal combination - the lyrics are nothing special in this regard. it's the stuff of almost every rock ballad.

but what make it special to me are two things - well more than that, but these two especially:

1. while it begins as the typical slow, pretty ballad, the chorus is upbeat and damn-near danceable. it gives hope to the idea, though you never can be positive whether the you and me he speaks of is a you and me that have long ago said their goodbyes or if it's a you who's waiting at home. in either scenario, it's nice that he ain't pleading or sugarcoating anything. he's just saying, at the end of the day you're on my mind and i like to think i'll be where you are.

2. i loved a musician once. he wasn't on the road all the time - or ever really - but sometimes it could feel that way. he loved this song and put it on a mix cd he made for my birthday. a mix cd i loved more than any gift he ever gave me. a mix cd that i always know the location of, and that i listen to as regularly as i do supergrass. we aren't a you and me any longer, but we are still in each other's lives. this song - strangely enough - reminds me of that and how grateful i am for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home