Tuesday, August 23, 2005

track three - moving

august 2000. justin would not stop singing it.

not my first exposure to supergrass. just as for the rest of the world, that was "alright." just as for the rest of the united states, it's because it was on my Clueless soundtrack.

but the day i left my first post-college apartment (the one shared with casey d), assisted by my parents, my boyfriend and his brother kevin, was the first time i heard this song - at a table at the majestic, eating eggs and toast.

for the six or so hours that it required to move me from dixie to mclendon, i heard justin's a capella version of the first few verses of this song no less than 24 times... until finally having decided to not spend my first night at my new address actually at my new address, he played the real thing for me...

and "i (heart) supergrass" was born.

my favorite moment to listen to "moving" is leaving work, especially on a thursday afternoon (thursday is my friday). put Supergrass in the player, roll down the window as it opens...

Moving, just keep moving,
Till I don't know what's sane,
I've been moving so long,
The days all feel the same,

"Moving, just keep moving,
Well I don't know why to stay,
No ties to bind me,
No reasons to remain"

and take off just as it hits that inital tempo change.

"Got a low, low feeling around me,
And a stone cold feeling inside,
And I just can't stop messing my mind up,
Or wasting my time"

someday when i make my ultimate road music mix cd, this will without a doubt be the opening track.

this is one of those that sparks not one but several emotions. while we may no longer share our lives in the same way, there was a time when we were total bright spots in one another's existences... and i am grateful for that and that he's still around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home